We agree that everyone needs to have a fun hobby.
Regardless of your age or level of experience, operating an RC helicopter can be an entertaining way to spend your free time.
With the passage of time, as the popularity of radio controlled helicopters has increased, the quality of available options for RC helicopters has also grown. Now, let us have a look at our top picks for the best outdoor RC helicopters.
All the helicopters that we mentioned in our list have amazing characteristics. But these three provide you with features that you will be looking for specifically. Hence, they deserve to be at the top.
Now that we have had a sneak peak at the top three, let us have a detailed look at our top 5 picks for the best outdoor RC helicopters.
Best Outdoor RC Helicopters - Top 5 Reviews
1. Best Helicopter For Kids - Haktoys HAK303 RC Helicopter Review
All the other helicopters we reviewed, were for people with ages 12 and above. This helicopter is the only model we found to be for children below age 12.
Several characteristics of this helicopter made us believe that this copter is tailored to the needs of kids. The mini remote control is designed to suit the kids level of capabilities. Along with that, the flexible canopy design of the copter is constructed to withstand frequent crashes.
This helicopter has an ideal charging time of 30 minutes. For safety, the adjustable settings allow the parents to control the speed of the helicopter while the child is learning to fly it.
Features of one of the best outdoor RC Helicopters – Haktoys HAK303 RC Helicopter
- It has adjustable speeds
- Built-in Gyroscope for maximum stability
- 30 minutes charging time
- Built with flexible material
- Infrared controlled
- Available in two colors: blue and green
2. Best Outdoor Helicopter - WL V911 4 CH Single Rotor Helicopter Version 2 Review
The V911 is a great single blade RC helicopter. This helicopter can survive flying in the wind as long as the wind grate does not exceed 4. The 2.4GHz radio frequency ensures that you smoothly operate the copter outside without any interference.
We discovered that the V911 takes only 30 minutes to fully charge. However, it was disappointing to see how it only lasts for 5 minutes until the whole battery is completely drained. But to make up for the short flight time, the WL V911 comes with an extra pair of batteries.
This helicopter is controlled through 4 channels. These channels are further divided into 2 for every stick. The right stick accelerates the copter forward, backward and sideways. The left stick, on the other hand, allows you to move the heli left, right, up and down.
Features of WL V911 4 CH Single Rotor Helicopter Version 2
- Available in two colors – red and white
- Comes with two extra batteries for long flight time
- 4 Channel 2.4 GHz Helicopter
- Controller has an LCD for easier controlling of copter
If you’re looking for a helicopter that comes with extra batteries to increase the flight time, then the WL V911 4 CH Single Rotor Helicopter Version 2 is the one for you. It has a short charge time and is durable.
3. Best Helicopter With Camera - UDI U13A3 Channel RC Helicopter Review
We noticed that this helicopter is designed to be precisely balanced. What makes this model stand out amongst other models is that this helicopter is equipped with a camera. This camera allows you to make videos and take pictures while flying it.
The UDI U13A3 is made of metal alloy to ensure lightweight. The leaves of this helicopter, however, are made of plastic.
This copter supports the conventional 2.4GHz frequency and has an infrared receiver. In addition, it is powered by a Lipo battery that is equipped with a technology to avoid overcharging it.
Features of UDI U13A3 Channel RC Helicopter
- Camera can be used to take photos and make videos
- Can move in six directions: up, down, back, forward, counterclockwise rotation and clockwise rotation
- Metal alloy frame
- Transmitter supports three channels
- 4-in-1 infrared receiver
4. Best Helicopter Under $100 - V912 4CH Single Blade RC Helicopter With Gyro Review
We would consider the V912 4CH Single Blade RC Helicopter With Gyro to be a good ready-to-fly copter. However, its charge time is 60 minutes, which might be longer than other models.
This copter has a rechargeable lithium ion- battery, which will make it last longer. It’s easy to power up this helicopter, as its transmitter requires only 4 AA batteries.
The V912 4CH is made of good quality and can, therefore, handle crash abuse. It also has a low and high rate for the controller to custom-tune your flight experience.
Features of V912 4CH Single Blade RC Helicopter With Gyro
- It produces realistic sound
- 4 channels
- Frequency: 2.4GHz channel
- Charging time is 60 minutes
- Flying options: up, down, forward, backward, right, left, turn left, turn right
5. Best Dual-Mode Helicopter - Hero H911 RC Helicopter Review
This is our favourite looks-wise outdoor radio controlled helicopter. It isn’t too shabby when it comes to performance either. Along with it being a dual-mode helicopter, you can also buy it for a really low price.
With its precision control and smaller size, we agree that it can be used for both indoor and outdoor activities.
Plastic is used for the construction of this helicopter, which makes it an ideal choice for beginners. Furthermore, if you suffer from a high speed crash, you won’t be crying yourself to bed like someone who dropped a $400 RC helicopter.
Also, you can rest assured because this helicopter comes with extra spare parts in the bottom part of the box in case you need them.
Features of Hero H911 RC Helicopter
- Dual mode operation
- Has an LCD transmitter
- Cyclic Servo Control
- Material used is plastic
Which Parts Help an Outdoor RC Helicopter to Fly?
The three parts that help an outdoor RC helicopter to fly are:
- The main rotor system
- The tail rotor system
- The engine
What to Look For in an Outdoor Radio Controlled Helicopter?
A few factors you might want to consider before buying an outdoor RC helicopter are:
- Durability: it is important to buy an outdoor RC copter made of strong durable material such as aluminium or lead. A strong radio controlled helicopter will not crash easily and allow you to use it for a long time.
- Flight Range: if you plan to fly your copter outdoors, the flight range should be around 100 meters. RC copters made for indoor flying come with lesser flight range.
- Flight Time: to get the most out of a copter, you should consider the one that has at least 5-8 minutes of flight time.
- Size: you will realize that different outdoor RC helicopters come in a variety of different sizes. It is important to buy the right size to help you in better flying the copter. Large helicopter sizes go up to 30 inches while small sized helicopters range from 15-23 inches.
- Channels: we discovered that outdoor radio controlled helicopters contain between 2-6 channels, with each of them performing different tasks. So, the higher the channel number, the more tricks you can perform with your helicopter.
Do Outdoor Radio Controlled Helicopters Require a License?
The good thing about an outdoor RC helicopter is that you do not require a flying license for it. You can fly it in any open field. Just be careful not to fly it too close to people as some of them have sharp blades.
Can I Fly my Outdoor RC Helicopter in Windy or Rainy Weather?
Different models from different brands are made with distinct durability levels. Most of the outdoor RC choppers are not built to handle rain or wind. You can always try to fly your copter when there is very little wind to find out if it is capable. Although, do not try to fly it in the rain, as the rain could damage your copter.
Is it Possible to Improve an RC Copters Flight Time And Control Range?
You can upgrade your copters battery or get a larger one if you wish to improve its flight time and control range. Moreover, some models also give you an option to upgrade the remote control to increase the control range, if you like.
Are Outdoor RC Helicopters Child-Friendly?
Not all RC helicopters are child-friendly. Some are made of metal and consist of sharp blades that can harm your child in serious ways. So, it is better to buy a safe helicopter for your kid. We have mentioned a few in our list. Although, the best one we would consider is the Haktoys HAK303 RC Helicopter.
How Do I Determine The Charge Rate of My Battery?
There are many factors that determine the charge rate of a battery in an outdoor RC helicopter. The safest and easiest option is to check the manufacturer’s specifications for charging in the manual. Some require to be charged at 1 amp while others require to be charged at 3-4 amps.
Will I Need A Runway for Flying an Outdoor Radio Controlled Helicopter?
No, outdoor radio controlled helicopters do not need a large mowed or paved runway. Any open area can be used for their take off and landing.
Remember! It’s a helicopter. Not an aeroplane.
Many people like to take up the hobby of flying an RC helicopter. But is it really safe? Are they even legal? The answer to both questions is: yes. Moreover, they are fun. So, why not buy one and enjoy your free time.
In the end, we would consider the V912 4CH Single Blade RC Helicopter With Gyro to be the winner for us. The best thing you will find about this helicopter is that it retains its stability even in windy conditions. Moreover, it is made of good quality and can survive crashes.
So, this concludes our article on the best outdoor RC helicopters. We have mentioned all the details to make it easy for you to choose the best one.
Hope this article proves to be helpful.